Tuesday, March 1, 2022

The journey to find the right song

As you guys know me and my partner were set on old jazz, mainly looking for songs around the 1940s-1960s that have that old romance vibe. We felt that it would really fit the love between the man and their women, given that they will be considered old-fashioned today. We felt their romance and the things in relation to their romance(the song) should revolve around the same idea too.  

After searching all of the first and second week endlessly for songs that could work. Through a few Spotify playlists and YouTube recommended videos, narrowing it down to five songs then later 2, the finalists were: "Only you and you alone "by The Platters and "And I love you so" by Don Mclean. The Platters songs were our first pick while Don Mclean was our backup. Having the song already picked felt as if we have accomplished something, like "finally after days of searching we finally found the one". Though we quickly remembered we still have a bunch of other things we have to check off the list before we can even say "yes we have done it".  I like to celebrate every accomplishment. 

                                                   (to be honest, we somewhat felt like these guys)

After beginning work on the other work in the list, I saw it, coming out a dark corner in big, bold, red letters, the copyright laws. I feared that I wasn't going to be able to use the songs that I have found and already had selected as our songs. I searched the web, and just what I was scared of the songs were still owned by a company/ artists. All my hard work, just to be told "no you can't use it".

 I was devastated, the songs that I imagined by opening to have, I cant use.  I quickly made another google search to see what songs are public domain (free to use to the public), According to a website I found on January 1,2022 any songs released before 1922 are public domain. While I was reading this information I felt the door of songs from 1940-1960 closed, but a new door opened one filled with hope, I could still be able to use Jazz in my project, but from the 1920s (how different would the songs be, I thought, oh was I wrong) 

I started my new search for songs from this era, just like I started my previous search, through Spotify. I thought this was going to be easy, a quick playlist search and I would find songs that would fit, boy was I wrong. The first playlist that came up didn't even have songs from the 1920s. That was wasn't when I knew that this wasn't going to be like my previous search. When I finally found a group of songs that could work, on YouTube (Playlist )before I even started playing I felt relieved, but that went away soon when I played the first song. The music had a weird song in the background. The only words I could use to describe are that it made the made song feel crispy like you were frying something behind it. I thought "maybe the other songs aren't as bad", and I was right, nevertheless there was still the same sound in the background that would be strange in an opening. (Here are some of the songs I listened to 123 )I was stressed, yet again, "what am I going to do now". 

I did just like any teen in this situation will do, and opened Tik Tok to forget my problems for a few minutes. After scrolling for a while, a classical music artist came up in my For You Page promoting his new song. I had actually started to listen to a few classical music playlists recently, so this caught my attention, in a result I rapidly went to take a listen. As soon as the song finished a solution came into my head, "what if instead of using old romantic jazz, we use classical music". It would have the same old-fashioned feel, but just with a different song. I was ecstatic, I knew 100% that most well-known classical music songs are published well before the 1920s before some even before the 1900s. I basically ran to Spotify to search for another and hopefully the last playlist that would be able to give me song options. 

Luckily I quickly found I playlist with more than 200 songs under tittles romantic classical songs. I was hyped. I clicked play and the first song that played was perfect for the opening(which became our first choice). I listened to a few more just to have a list when I show my partner the hidden gems I found. 

Right now I and my partner have Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 1 in G Minor, Op. 13, TH. 24 "Winter Reveries" and The Stone Flower Symphonic Suite, Op. 118, Wedding Suite, as our choices. We doubled check they were public domain. We finally got a song.  


<33

No comments:

Post a Comment

Project components

 Project components   Here is teh following is link toThank every component of our project, short film, print component, and a link for a so...