Thursday, February 17, 2022

Music in films

hey guys, so something I would really want to incorporate in my opening is music. Not only with small sound effects, or a short song in the background but a song that takes over the scene for most of its time. Music is a clever way to set the tone of the scene without directly telling the audience. It is a useful way to tell the audience if the character is a villain who is planning a mischievous scheme or flirting with their lover.  

Music is a major post-production detail that will improve any scene. I found this informative post about The importance of Music in Films that really opened my eyes, to the way directors have incorporated music in my favorite films. 

The article mainly focuses on the importance of music, its role in a scene. They successfully do this by giving the audience examples they could imagine, like someone staring out to the forest with heroic music, making the audience feel as if the character is a hero, though when you change the music to a more dramatic dark song, the audience thoughts completely changes.  

Clearly, music is an influential edition to any scene, though it might seem a subtle thing to everyone else. When you think about it directors use music to change our emotions and perspectives while watching their work.  Another thing that the article talked about was the lack of music. Though I and my partner aren't interested in having a silent opening, it's very fascinating what the lack of sound can make someone feel. 


This example was taken from the article, but I had to agree with the writer, that this scene, is very weird and awkward when the music is taken away. John Williams, the composer of the score, allows the music to do all the talking in the scene, given the lack of dialogue in this specific scene. This is a clear example of how music can turn a scene from being awkward to iconic.    

Specifically, for my project I have been thinking about would using an old-time romantic jazz song in my scene (I don't wanna say specifically why yet because I and my partner are still cleaning up the idea). Using this type of song the audience could use context clues to interfere with how the main character feels towards his wife. He is a man full of love, who will always love his partner. Additionally, it adds to his personality as well, by showing that he is an old soul, given that he is still listening to 60s-70s songs, though the movie is set in present times. '

My partner and I have already started looking for copy-right-free music that fits into this aesthetic and can successfully demonstrate the emotions we are trying to show in our opening. 

<33



No comments:

Post a Comment

Project components

 Project components   Here is teh following is link toThank every component of our project, short film, print component, and a link for a so...