Friday, February 17, 2023

Reserching for inspo Pt.2

 For more research, I moved my focus from old projects to released short films. Ones that have been in Film festivals won awards, were distributed on streaming platforms, etc. I also looked through some that were student/ teen made, so their features could be something that we could do in our film project. For this, I went to Youtube and searched for "short films about beauty standards" and "short Films about sports", given that the topics that we are deciding between all fall under those two themes. In the following ill go over some of the short films I watched and the parts that I took notes on. 

Doll Face 

This was one of the first short films I watch, which made me think the most. The piece was released 16 years ago, and done through animation. I don't plan to use animation in my short film, but the piece still has some features I may want to utilize in my short film. Firstly, the film has barely any dialogue and just uses sounds from the TV and robot to express the message intended. This makes the audience think more about what is being shown to them, making the message more prominent. I think this is a clever way to express a message, only using sound, I would love to attempt to use this in my short film. These were the background objects, sounds, and actors' expressions that can express the message. Another thing I'll want to do in our short film has a dark ending, just like this short film. In the end, the character didn't end up happy or better than at the start, her actions left her hurt. I would want to do the same thing with what we choose to do, have an unconventional ending. I feel like it emphasizes the message and its consequences rather than having a happy ending. 

 A Cinematic Baseball Film

Honestly, this one was one of my favorites that I watched. I really enjoy the cinematography and message that it leaves behind. From this short film, I noted the use of creative shots used throughout. Especially the ones used in the boys' room when he is contemplating continuing baseball, and the one at the end when he finally hit an awesome swing. I want to try to use creative angles and shots from my short film so it would be more entertaining for the audience watching. Just like the last short film, this one used almost no dialogue until the end, which made what the boy was saying more impactful. If our idea allows it, I would really like to do something with no or very little dialogue given that I feel it's more impactful than a voiceover throughout the piece. 

Not enough


This short film looks closer to what we can do for this project as the production isn't as elaborate as the other ones, though it's still really good. I really enjoy the creativity that was put into this short film, as the use of words for food to express body issues. I would really like to do something similar to my short film, like playing with different objects to make a metaphor out of their use. Additionally, the use of dialogue in this short film is. I know that in the previous two, I mentioned how I would really like to not use dialogue, but if the idea that we choose the lack of dialogue would help to express the message, I would prefer to use dialogue between two people rather than a voiceover. I feel like voiceovers are to overuse in short films and sometimes they don't really help the piece. I much rather utilize conversations with the character to spread the message like done in the short film above.

<33


No comments:

Post a Comment

Project components

 Project components   Here is teh following is link toThank every component of our project, short film, print component, and a link for a so...